Mediterranean Brussels Sprouts
I don't like Brussels sprouts, but I love them this way! If you're serving chicken or turkey that's somewhat dry, the tanginess of the lemon makes a perfect complement. Serves 3 or 4.
- 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, fresh organic
- 2 in. water (for steamer)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon (about 2 tbsp juice)
- 1 tsp salt (sea or Real Salt (site))
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 tsp each of marjoram and oregano
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard (optional)
- Black pepper to taste
While the water in the steamer is heating, rinse and cut the Brussels sprouts into quarters lengthwise (so the stem end holds them together). Chop or press the garlic.
Steam the Brussels sprouts and garlic over lightly simmering water for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the lemon juice, oil, mustard (if used), and spices together as a dressing.
When the Brussels sprouts are done, pour them into a serving bowl and toss with the dressing while still hot. Serve immediately.