German Red Cabbage
Sweet and sour and good all over. Serves 2 or more.
- 1/4 c water
- 1/4 small head red cabbage, shredded or chopped
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tbsp each xylitol and unsulphured molasses, or 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 c vinegar, apple cider
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each allspice, ground cloves
- 1 tbsp butter, divided in half
Combine all ingredients except half of butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and cover. Gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender. Before serving, stir in remaining butter.